Theological question posited on FB: “Why did God order Moses to build two-cherubim angels as it contradicts Exodus 20:4?”
The two-Cherub Angels over the Mercy Seat of the Ark of the Covenant was a prophecy concerning Messiah’s death, burial and resurrection. The Ark of the Covenant is representative of Messiah.
1) The wood of the Ark represented Messiah’s humanity (Philippians 2:8).
2) The gold represented Messiah’s deity (John 1).
3) The Cherub Angels over the Mercy Seat represented a prophecy concerning Messiah’s atonement for sin as seen by Mary at the tomb of Messiah (John 20:11-13).
4) The Pot of Manna inside the Ark represented that Jesus would be the Bread of Life (John 6:35).
5) Aaron’s rod inside the Ark that had budded and came to life was indicative of Messiah as the Resurrection and the Life (John 11:25).
6) The Tablets of Stone inside the Ark that were etched with the Commandments of God represented that Jesus would have the Law of God in His heart and be the fulfillment of same (Matthew 5:17).
Mary witnessed the fulfillment of the prophecy concerning the two-Cherub Angels…
11 But Mary stood outside the tomb weeping. And as she wept, she bent down to look into the tomb, 12 and she saw two angels in white sitting where the body of Jesus had lain, one at the head and the other at the feet. 13 “Woman, why are you weeping?” they asked. John 20:11-13
Mary viewed the actual “Mercy Seat” and the blood of Messiah on that hewn stone where Jesus’ body had lain and bled; the sinless blood of Messiah that actually made atonement for sin in place of the blood of animals sprinkled on the Mercy Seat by the High Priest that could never take away sin (Hebrews 10).