Questions for the Progressive Creationist
In response to your article: https://christian-apologist.com/2018/11/10/genesis-and-jesus-genealogies-support-an-old-earth-creation/ … when you have the time and motivation, please respond to the following.
“YECs believe that the six days of creation were 24-hour days, particularly since they note the inclusion of evening and morning on each of the creation days. Evenings and mornings require sunrises and sunsets, yet the sun did not appear until day four.”
- Does Nome, Alaska experience an evening and a morning in Winter when there is no Sun?
“Based on these passages and in conjunction with scientific discoveries concerning the creation of the universe and of the earth, I agree with Biblical interpretations that support an old earth and suggest that yom in the first chapter of Genesis is a longer period of time.”
- Is it not true that every time the word “yom” is accompanied by a number or the phrase “evening and morning” throughout the Old Testament (as in Genesis 1), it consistently means an ordinary day i.e. a literal 24-yr period of Time?
- If God did not Create in a literal 6-day time-frame and rest on the 7th-day, where did mankind receive the 7-day week and where did the concept of the Sabbath, a “day” of rest, find its origin?
Exodus 20:11 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy. (Not them ‘plural’ but “it”)
If the fossil record is millions or billions of years old as in the Progressive Creationist perspective, what is the resultant of Original Sin? In other words, if billions of animals suffered and died before Adam’s rebellion, why did they die, how did they die, if The Curse had not manifest until subsequent the creation of Adam on Day-6?
Moses writes in the Genesis, Chapter 1…
31 God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
- Apparently, all that had been created up to that point was “very good”…there was no curse, no death resulting from sin…so why does the geological record reflect billions of fossils that died and some in suffering and horror if death and suffering and the curse did not manifest until subsequent Adam’s rebellion?
In Romans 8, Paul writes…
19 For the anxious longing of the creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it, [i]in hope 21 that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
Moses writes in the Genesis, Chapter 3…
17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat from it’;
Cursed is the ground because of you;
In [f]toil you will eat of it
All the days of your life.
18 “Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you;
And you will eat the [g]plants of the field;
19 By the sweat of your face
You will eat bread,
Till you return to the ground,
Because from it you were taken;
For you are dust,
And to dust you shall return.”
- So we see a curse on the Earth “subsequent” to Adam’s rebellion…and prior to this we see our Creator exclaiming everything to be “good.” Again, how does the Progressive Creationist reconcile the death evidenced in the fossil record occurring “before” the curse?
- If there is to be a restoration of all things in God’s Kingdom exactly as they were before “The Fall” and “The Curse” (very good)….is God suggesting that death’s sting and creation’s curse will remain seeing that the Progressive Creationist perspective and the fossil record assumes billions of lives lost and death and suffering reigning throughout the World before “The Curse” … millions or billions of years of death and suffering before Adam’s rebellion?
In conclusion, you said…
“In conclusion, the Bible provides us with evidence that the six days of creation were not literal 24-hour days and that Jesus’ genealogies were abbreviated to exclude unimportant names. Readers can take comfort that the Bible supports scientific findings in cosmology and geology. Science is not the enemy of Christianity. In contrast, science gives us evidence in its support!”
- Even if Luke’s genealogy was missing a person or two or three or four, the 4-k year estimate from Adam to the Christ (YEC) would only be several hundred-years off or maybe even a thousand or two, but NOT many thousands or millions of years; therefore, how do account for this “gap” theology?
- You mention cosmology and geology…do you believe in Theistic Evolution/abiogenesis and/or macroevolution?
- Do you hold to the Framework Hypothesis? Cosmic Evolution?
Thank you for your time,
Excellent article discussing the Six-days of Creation and variant perspectives:
What Is R.C. Sproul’s Position on Creation?