Apparently, Vance and Hines, one of the largest manufacturers of “illegal” aftermarket exhausts for “street use” motorcycles, is catching-on to the fact that we’re aware of their ruse. I have begged the US EPA to regulate the criminal conspiratorial marketing strategies of the motorcycle aftermarket industry yet the Director at that time, Gina McCarthy, refused to do her job and stop the criminal conspiracy existing between,
1) Manufacturers of motorcycle aftermarket exhausts.
2) Distributors of motorcycle aftermarket exhausts.
3) Retailers of motorcycle aftermarket exhausts.
4) Installers of motorcycle aftermarket exhausts.
5) Operators of motorcycle aftermarket exhausts.
You see, the manufacturers of these aftermarket exhausts side-step the Code of Federal Regulations’ labeling and sound emissions requirements for street-use mufflers by covertly labeling their products with a NOT FOR ROAD USE label – hid away in an inconspicuous location just in the event they are to be investigated or held civilly liable. These deceiving aftermarket exhaust companies know full well that their illegally LOUD product will be installed on a street-use motorcycle and they are so bold as to advertise these NOT FOR ROAD USE products affixed to street-use motorcycles and have done so for decades.
For Sale: Revzilla: Vance & Hines Shortshots Staggered Exhaust For Harley
Please note the violation of Federal law: U.S. Code › Title 42 › Chapter 85 › Subchapter II › Part A › § 7522
(B) “for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use”
The Vance and Hines Short-Shots exhaust as advertised in the photo are capable, depending on insert configuration, of emitting 110 dB(A)+ under hard acceleration and are audible for a mile or more…approximately six-to-eight-times (LOGARITHMIC SCALE) the legal, safe, total motorcycle noise emissions of 80 dB(A) as restricted by the US EPA for 1986 year model street-use motorcycles forward…FINALLY, Vance and Hines is concerned – it’s past time to bring them into compliance or shut them down!
Apparently, Vance and Hines is concerned about a civil action and regulatory intervention…that’s a very good thing! Please see the article below, “Shades of Gray,” for more information…
1) SHADES OF GRAY: Selling and installing aftermarket exhausts, and the legal liabilities for dealers: http://www.dealernews.com/shades-of-gray-selling-and-installing-aftermarket-exhausts-and-the-legal-liabilities-for-dealers/
2) EPA Sues Harley for $15-million: https://rickeyholtsclaw.wordpress.com/2016/08/20/epa-sues-harley-for-15-million-better-yet-the-aftermarket-scam-is-out-of-the-bag/
3) The EPA and Loud Motorcycles – A Letter and a Plea for Intercession: https://rickeyholtsclaw.wordpress.com/2016/09/16/loud-motorcycles-the-epa-a-plea-for-intercession/
4) The Truth about Loud Motorcycles the Police Won’t or Can’t Tell You: https://rickeyholtsclaw.wordpress.com/2016/03/10/the-truth-about-loud-motorcycles-the-police-wont-or-cant-tell-you/
5) Video: Loud Motorcycles? THE LAW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouBsdUq-2Iw
6) My LOUD Evening at the Harley Dealership – The Truth Shall Set You Free: https://rickeyholtsclaw.wordpress.com/2016/08/08/my-loud-evening-at-the-harley-dealership-truths-a-killer/
7) Video: Evidence of Arkansas Vehicular NOISE Conspiracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ–8v2S784&t=24s
Rick Holtsclaw, Houston PD/Retired
Concerned Citizens Against Loud Motorcycles – Facebook, YouTube and WordPress